|About Espresso Education|
|Working for us|
About us: About Espresso Education
From humble beginnings back in 1997, Espresso Education is now the leading digital curriculum provider in the UK. Our Espresso Primary service has been recognised as transforming the world of learning through its blend of visual media and interactive resources and setting the standard in the world of e-learning.
Today, Espresso Education is proud to be trusted by over 9,000 schools in delivering high-quality video-rich resources, and to have earned numerous awards along the way.
Though the company may have changed in size and expanded in new products and countries, our original vision is as true today as it ever was.
Our mission: To transform education by encouraging the true integration of technology into classroom instruction through the use of powerful and compelling digital content.
We are committed to:
- Enhancing the way teachers teach and pupils learn
- Providing schools with the highest quality video-rich educational resources
- Adding meaning and relevance to the curriculum
- Helping teachers and pupils achieve their highest potential as individuals
Espresso Coding is a brand new service from Espresso Education that teaches Year 1 - 6 pupils to code and make their own apps to share with their friends and parents. This powerful yet simple tool includes a Scheme of Work that allows schools to easily deliver this new area of the 2014 Computing curriculum.
About us: Company history
- Feb 1997: Espresso Broadband, Ltd. was formed by former Editor of Blue Peter, Lewis Bronze, and technology strategist Tony Bowden. The initial concept was to find a way of delivering video news to the classroom - news that would be regularly updated and add meaning and relevance to the curriculum taught in schools.
- Aug 1998: the European Space Agency (ESA) funds Espresso to bring its innovative concept to market, as part of a satellite project.
- Jan 2000: following successful trials, Espresso launches as a commercial service at BETT.
- Mar 2002: Richard McGrath joins as Managing Director, with responsibility for establishing a strong position for Espresso in a rapidly developing education market.
- Jul 2002: signs a distribution agreement with the London Grid for Learning.
- Jun 2003: schools updating via broadband technology overtake schools updating by satellite.
- Dec 2004: joins forces with CLEO to deliver our primary service to 850 schools in Cumbria and Lancashire.
- Jan 2005: Independent Television News (ITN) makes a strategic investment in Espresso.
- Mar 2006: acquires Netmedia Education, a market leader in the provision of learning platforms and educational portals.
- Mar 2007: acquires Channel 4 Learning to become the definitive place for video-based learning for schools.
- Nov 2007: announce a Swedish version of Espresso in partnership with Liber (Infinitas).
- Nov 2007: launches Channel 4 Learning Clipbank, a cross-curricular digital library for secondary schools.
- Jun 2008: launches Education Clip Library, selling clips to non-UK education publishers, large school districts and web-based education service providers.
- May 2009: sells Netmedia Education to itslearning.
- Feb 2010: launches Home Access for Espresso Primary and Clipbank, to extend learning opportunities beyond the classroom.
- Mar 2010: Lewis Bronze is recognised with an Outstanding Achievement Award at the Education Resource Awards.
- Apr 2010: makes the move from Riverside Studios offices to brand new larger office space at Hythe House.
- Nov 2010: introduces new online delivery solution for Espresso Primary and Clipbank services.
- Apr 2011: launches Espresso Elementary in the United States.
- Mar 2011: teams up with Franklin Watts to publish three new series of Espresso books featuring the Espresso characters.
- May 2012: introduces new look modern homepage design for Espresso Primary service.
- July 2012: adds final phonics module to the Espresso Primary service to complete the Phonics resource collection.
- Jan 2013: Ben Stringer became Espresso's Managing Director, having been Chief Financial Officer for the previous 4 years, with responsibility for helping the company become the market leader in both secondary and primary across the UK.
- June 2013: Lewis Bronze, CEO and Founder of Espresso Education receives MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours list.
- Sept 2013: launches preview of the Espresso Coding service to support teaching of the new Computing curriculum.
- Nov 2013: Espresso was acquired by Discovery Education, a global leading company for the provision of curriculum-based digital content to classrooms.
- Jan 2014: Espresso is awarded 'ICT Company of the Year - over 10m turnover' at the Bett Awards 2014.
- Jan 2014: Lewis Bronze MBE, Director of Content and Founder of Espresso Education receives 'Outstanding Achievement in IT Education' award at Bett Awards 2014.
About us: Working for us
There are many talented people working for Espresso. Developing Espresso and providing the additional support around it requires many different people with diverse skills sets. These range from technical support, to video editing and java developers, to teacher training and sales.
We are all passionate about who we work for and what we do. We work together, play together and celebrate achievements together.
If you are passionate about making a positive contribution to education, then a career with Espresso Education could be for you.
If you would like to apply for a job at Espresso, please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We currently have the following vacancies available:
Marketing DirectorThe Marketing Director will lead Espresso’s marketing efforts. This individual will have the vision and expertise required to lead the marketing efforts through strategy development, creative brand leadership and management of successful marketing programs. The Marketing Director will be commercially astute and a well-established senior marketing professional who will lead, inspire and actively work with a small but versatile marketing and events team to deliver exceptional and transformational results. The post-holder will be a member of Espresso’s Senior Management Team and will be part of a dedicated team that will continue to build the brand, and drive the company’s ambitious commercial growth plans. The Marketing Director will have a B2B background and be passionate about social and digital media but equally skilled in more traditional marketing and communication activities. The post-holder will report to the Managing Director of Espresso Education Ltd, and will have a close working relationship with the Chief Marketing Officer, and the marketing team of Discovery Education. This a full-time role based at the Company’s offices in Hammersmith. Full time is preferable but a condensed 4-day week will be considered for the right candidate.
Read more: Marketing Director
Renewals Marketing ExecutiveThe Renewals Marketing Executive is responsible for driving the development and execution of marketing plans to achieve usage stimulation, retention and loyalty objectives for Espresso. The Marketing Executive will be involved in managing the operational execution of the marketing and communication mix to support the renewals team, including: direct mail, email and online marketing, website activity, collateral, and database management. With an acute understanding of schools and teachers, the Marketing Executive will be responsible for representing the voice of the customer and ensuring all marketing and communications speak appropriately and consistently to their needs and to Espresso’s benefits. The post-holder will report to the Marketing Director, and is a full-time role based in the Company’s offices in Hammersmith.
Read more: Renewals Marketing Executive
Field Marketing ManagerThe Field Marketing Manager (FMM) is responsible for helping to drive the attainment of school partnerships team revenue, working with the Marketing Director and Head of School Partnerships. The FMM will coordinate, develop, and execute strategic regional marketing and merchandising initiatives in partner schools and local authorities in order to: • drive maximum demand; • increase presence and penetration of Espresso products and services; and • maximise use of resources to enhance instructional practice of Espresso’s suite of products, services and solutions. The FMM will continually reinforce the value that Espresso delivers to partners, and work to strengthen relationships to embed Espresso further into their organization to fully exploit the sales and profit potential of partnership. The FMM will build a regional marketing plan that ensures all its initiatives are objectives-driven and metrics/results-oriented, maximizing our ROI. The post-holder will report to the Marketing Director, and is a full-time role based in the Company’s offices in Hammersmith.
Read more: Field Marketing Manager
Technical Architect AssistantDesign and build applications and databases. Assist the Technical Architect (TA) with developing strategies for development, data acquisition, archive recovery, and implementation educational and business system applications. Demonstrates expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Expected to maintain standards of network, development and security for all team members.
Read more: Technical Architect Assistant
Development Editor x2We are looking for two proactive and meticulous development editors to join our secondary editorial team, working on our next generation of digital learning resources. The editors will be responsible for coordinating the creation of top-quality educational content on schedule and to budget, ensuring that our resources fully respond to the needs of teachers and learners in the UK and beyond.
Read more: Development Editor x2
Graphic Designer & Video EditorThe Graphic Designer & Video Editor plays a key role in the Espresso Marketing team. The Graphic Designer & Video Editor supports the marketing team’s efforts on a range of projects, including promotional design and product launch, video-case studies, programme graphics, product campaigns and rebrands. The position will also play a key part in creating partnership pitches, print materials and presentations. The post-holder reports to the Marketing Director. This is a full-time role based in the Company’s offices in Hammersmith.
Read more: Graphic Designer & Video Editor
Educational Consultant, Professional Development x2The Educational Consultants are responsible for supporting the professional development and the school partnership team in driving awareness, adoption, and implementation of fee-based professional development and new digital products as released. The Educational Consultants are also responsible to support the design, sale, and implementation of customized professional development plans to improve teaching and learning, and increase pupil attainment. The post-holder will report to the Professional Development Director, and is a full-time role based in the Company’s offices in Hammersmith but remote working will be considered.
Read more: Educational Consultant, Professional Development x2
Curriculum Strategy and Development ManagerThe Curriculum Strategy and Development Manager plays a key role in the professional development and school partnerships teams and is responsible for the planning and execution of all curriculum development activities, including National Curriculum 2014 Days. The Curriculum Manager will support the Director of Professional Development, taking ownership, responsibility, and control of the concept development and delivery for all new curriculum initiatives. This is a full-time role, reporting to the Director of Professional Development, based in the company’s offices in Hammersmith.
Read more: Curriculum Strategy and Development Manager
Curriculum Consultants (Secondary KS3/4)We are looking for advisors for our cross-curricular Channel 4 Learning Clipbank service. We are looking for specialists in all subject areas, particularly science and English to work with our Editorial team on a series of projects.
Read more: Curriculum Consultants (Secondary KS3/4)
Clipbank subject consultants – Freelance positionsAre you a qualified secondary school teacher interested in becoming a subject consultant for Clipbank on an ad-hoc basis? If so, please read on...
Read more: Clipbank subject consultants – Freelance positions
Please note that Espresso will only consider applications from those who already have the right to live and work in the UK. In order for Espresso to apply successfully for a work permit, we need to show that there are no suitable candidates who are normally resident in the UK or who are nationals of the European Economic Area (EU States plus Norway and Iceland). We apologise for any disappointment this may cause and thank you for your interest.
No Agencies please.
If you wish to get in touch with Human Resources, please note that the department does not accept phone calls. Instead, please direct your query to email@example.com
If you are a candidate applying for a job, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
About us: Work experience
Espresso Education is committed to providing quality work experience for a number of young people each year. We encourage participants to work in all our departments to give them an insight into the world of professional working environment, and to provide them with career guidance.
Experience varies enormously from creating web pages and multimedia content, to observing how we write and produce voiceovers, to routine tasks like sorting and distributing direct mail campaigns. The scope for learning is considerable and depends on the individual.
Espresso has a very friendly and open culture and this is confirmed by the feedback of previous work experience candidates:
Jessica Craven, August 2011"My week at Espresso was interesting and fun. I learned a lot form my week at the company, everyone was really friendly and willing to give up their time to help me."
Read more: Jessica Craven, August 2011
William Bronze, July 2011"Thank you for an amazing two weeks at Espresso."
Read more: William Bronze, July 2011
Alex Morrisey, May 2011"I worked at Espresso Education for three weeks and was given the roll of 'roaming blogger' for the Espresso blog spot on the website."
Read more: Alex Morrisey, May 2011
Joseph Mercer-Holland, August 2010"I started work in the Edit Suite, using Final Cut Pro too edit a package shot in Chicago. It was about how a piece of sculpture became a main summer attraction in the city."
Read more: Joseph Mercer-Holland, August 2010
Adam Salisbury, June 2010"I was fortunate enough to speak to specialists in each department, giving me a huge insight on the diversity of the company. I would recommend Espresso Education for anyone who is looking for an interesting, valuable and challenging Work Experience."
Read more: Adam Salisbury, June 2010
Milan Patel, July 2013"I was at Espresso for two weeks, I absolutely enjoyed every second of it".
Read more: Milan Patel, July 2013
David Pilley, June 2013"My week at Espresso has been enjoyable, interesting and a brilliant working experience. During the week I have spent time with the Finance, Sales and Operations departments and all of them have given me an insight to a working experience in a large company such as Espresso. In each department I have been given important tasks to complete which displays how Espresso are keen to involve you in the company and give you a sense of responsibility which I thoroughly enjoyed."
Read more: David Pilley, June 2013